Saturday, June 9, 2012

If my novel had a soundtrack...

I was inspired to do this by my friend Bridget.  Music is pretty important to both our writing processes.  For me it helps give me an image of the character, and sometimes is able to jolt me into productivity, to get the gears moving.  Here are a few of what are called "image songs" for several of the major characters.

Sullen Boy (Main Character) -- "Narcissistic Cannibal" by KoRn.  My MC is a rather angry sort of person, but has begun to realize that all the anger in the world doesn't help him.  He's still dancing to the tune of the object of his anger, letting it rule his life, and to a large extent the story is about him coming to terms with that and breaking free of it.

Angry Girl (Love Interest) -- "Love Is War" by Nico Nico Chorus.  "Love Is War" is an amazing song.  It has the feel of a rock anthem, a war song, and a ballad rolled together.  The lyrics don't exactly correspond to the Angry Girl's relationship with the Sullen Boy, but they very accurately express her feelings, and the inherently warlike nature of her relationship with him.

The Commander (Mentor) -- "Rise" by Origa.  I heard this song one night while developing the Commander.  The line "I am a soldier" jumped out at me, and I immediately knew I had found her image song.  The Commander is a soldier, from start to finish.  She has dedicated her life to fighting a war, and the thing that has kept her alive is the thought that if she lives one more day, she'll be able to strike one more blow against her foe.

Ten days left until the writing starts.  I'm into the back stretch now.  I've got to keep a cool head, keep the last minute panic at bay, and work like a madman.

2 comments:

  1. I adore all three of those songs!!!

    "we are soldiers, stand or die" gets me every time from Rise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, definitely. That whole song gets me every time, but that line especially. And good grief, I must get to bed now, lol.

      Delete